What is Mindfulness?
Mindfulness allows for the opportunity to cultivate skills that increases our capacity to manage life’s challenges. Mindfulness is the ability to maintain moment-by-moment awareness of our thoughts, feelings, bodily sensations, and environment. Mindfulness involves the cultivation of non-judgment and kindness towards our present moment experiences.
Jon Kabat-Zinn defines Mindfulness as “… paying attention in a particular way; on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally.”
Through this process we are able to develop greater awareness and psychological flexibility as we develop an understanding of how we respond to unwanted or uncomfortable situations.
Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) program is an empirically researched 8-week psycho-educational group for cultivating greater awareness, resilience, health and well-being. MBSR has over 30 years of scientific research demonstrating how mindfulness techniques can reduce stress, anxiety and depression, improve academic performance and assist in the management of a variety of physical conditions.
MBSR was developed in 1979 by Jon Kabat-Zinn at the University of Massachusetts Medical Center in the United States of America.
The ABC’s Catalyst program conducted “The Mindfulness Experiment” where they followed the involvement of 15 participants and their journey during the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction group; with significant results.
- Eight weekly 2.5 hour group sessions and one full day retreat
- Structured learning environment including brief lectures, group discussions and experiential activities
- Exploring strategies for integrating mindfulness in daily life
- Mindfulness meditation training with take-home guided meditations and course workbook
- Trauma sensitive approach
- Improved sleep patterns
- Increased capacity to cope with stress
- Symptom reduction of anxiety and depression
- Develop attunement with self and emotional regulation
- Improved attention and concentration
- Creation of healthy habits and routines
- Decreased physical symptoms
- Stronger immune system
- Improved confidence and assertiveness
- Increased energy, vitality, motivation & enthusiasm for life
- Developing understanding about how our thoughts, behavioural and emotional responses and self-management, impact on and influence stress
MBSR is for anyone interested in developing an understanding of mindfulness and associated benefits, with a desire to extend and utilise practical skills for use in every-day activities and life.
Please contact for upcoming dates.
Hoa (just to be helpful is pronounced “Hwa”) is a trained therapist, social worker and facilitator in various evidence based therapies and parenting models, with a wealth of experience spanning more than ten years, providing direct therapeutic intervention and support to children, adults and families. This support continues to be provided within government, non-government, and private practice settings.